Norbert Wollheim
December 2, 1938A couple of weeks ago as I have written before I witnessed the night of November 9, 1938, which is known as “The night of broken glass” (Knistallnacht). The night of Kristallnacht was a tragic and it opened eyes of many people including myself. Shortly after Kristallnacht, my acquaintance Otto Hirsh requested of me to take on the task of arranging for thousands of people to emigrate from places like Germany, Poland, The Czech lands, and Austria to the safety of Great Britain. I have decided to name this organization Kindertransport which means to child transport in English. Today was the first day that the trains of Kindertransport took off. Just a couple of hours ago I watched as 196 children got on a train and departed on a long journey From Germany to Harwich, Great Britain. Because of this organization those 196 children will now have a family to go to and not have to suffer through the Holocaust. The biggest thought in my head right now is if the children will ever see their family again. The organization was made for them to go back, but I think that the children will either want to stay with the family they are currently with or they’re parents won’t survive through the war. Another thing I wonder is how long this organization will go on and how many lives this will change. My only hope is that all the children end up in a caring family and in a safe environment. This is all for today, I’ll be sure to check in and write how the organization is progressing and anything that pops up about the children.
No comments:
Post a Comment