Caleb Gerhske
12/10/1938Last week I was taken from my family and put on a train heading to the safety of Great Britain. I was told that once we arrive in Harwich, we would be moved to London and brought to our foster home there. Just the thought of calling somebody else my dad or my mom is frightening. My whole life I have only known one mom and one dad to be mine. Why is this happening.. Why are the Germans so mean.. If it wasn't for them taking us Jews away and putting our kind into hard labor, I would've still been next to my parents smiling and having fun with the two people I truly love in this cold and heartless war. I don't want this to be happening. I'm only eleven years old... It's not fair.
A couple of hours ago all I did was wait and hope for my new family to be kind and loving. A couple of minutes after the train came to a stop in Harwich and I knew that we would have to go to London now. We started heading to London and after another couple of hours we were finally there. I was taken to a street in the city and I saw some people standing outside their front door. I figured that they might be a couple of families that adopted a child and they were waiting for us. Everybody standing outside seemed nice, except for one person. It was a man, probably around his 30’s. This man was big in size, about 6’2” or so. He had huge arms and a tattoo of a dragon going down his right arm and a couple of piercings on his face. I prayed over and over again for him not to be my new family member, until my leader brought me to a stop and I opened my eyes. I couldn’t believe it, the man was standing right in front of me. We shook hands and exchanged names, his name was James.
Of course I was assigned to him, of course even though I prayed and prayed, over and over again, I still ended up with him. Is there not a god out there. Have I been praying this whole time and the only person that heard it was me. It has become painfully obvious to me that either the god I have been following has turned his back on me and all the other Jews, or there was never a god up there at all and I have been wasting my time worshiping something that was never there. A couple of seconds ago, I was brought into his house. He showed me to my room and then left, I haven’t seen him since and to tell the truth I don’t want to. This is all I have to write for today, expect me back tomorrow to see how it’s going with James.
No comments:
Post a Comment